Saturday, May 3, 2008

WARNING: RANT

Most of you know that I am earning a masters in education (Educational Leadership). I feel very confident in my ability to get a job as a principal in the near future due to the fact that there are many, MANY people in the program who are, shall we say, incompetent to say the least. This semester we were assigned a budget simulation project where we took the state minimum salary schedule and our own school’s salary schedule and compared them. We were to complete a budget as to how we spent categorical funds, write a two page summary, and make a PowerPoint presentation displaying the data. Some of these “educators” (and I use that term VERY loosely) need to do a quick Google search and learn some better techniques for making presentations. Below is a shortened list of things that have annoyed me this morning:

1. Too many words

2. Hard to see color

3. Font too small

4. Graphs too small

5. USING ALL CAPS

6. Annoying clipart

7. Unable to open presentation from flash drive

…and possibly the WORST one of all,

8. Reading the entire presentation

Another pet peeve that I have had with this experience is the fact that I am paying for a master’s level education and professors are still assigning busy work.

Why assign questions at the end of chapters? Discuss them.

Why assign students to teach the chapter? That is why I am paying YOU $300+ to teach.

I truly feel regret for students and teachers who will have these future instructional leaders.


2 comments:

Mark said...

That's a bummer. And until standards get raised, the program won't get a the level of respect that it desires. I learned a while back that just because a person has a lot of degrees, it doesn't necessarily say anything about their intelligence.

Mark

Casey McDonald said...

note to self: don't tick off bryan.